Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Paw Pack Parenting

So it's been awhile since my last post and I'll admit every time I have a free moment from playgroups, eating and babysitting I'm in need of a giant nap! Life has certainly become more hectic for me with a new baby to look after and while I have been used to a life of peace, quiet and leisure the past 2 months have been anything but that! Through hours of observation and babysitting I've come up with a number of realizations, tips and tricks that I hope will be helpful for any of my friends that will be faced with the joys and challenges of parenthood:

1. Babies, like puppies, cry a lot. When my parents have exhausted all options for soothing I have found that a few gentle licks to the face soothes even the crankiest of babies.

2. The boppy pillow is not just for the baby; it is multifunctional and primarily serves as a perfect napping pillow for me and my dad during those sleepless nights.

3. Although tempting the following items are NOT dog toys: pacifier, socks, hand mitts, burp cloths and of course diapers. Stuffed animals are up for debate and while I hardly think she'll miss any of her stuffed animals at this point I've already gotten the standard lecture from my parents to keep away from the toy shelf.

4. The term "feeding time at the zoo" has taken on a whole new meaning. I'm a 2 meal a day dog and polish off my meals in less than 5 minutes yet maintain a 90 lb stature. My sister feeds around the clock for up to an hour at a time yet she is the size of a pug; how does she manage to stay so little??

5. Her bathroom habits are a true mystery to me. She produces a lot of gas and smell but I have yet to see physical evidence of anything. I have noticed a large white can in her room that seems to swallow diapers and cleverly designed to keep me from investigating her messes. Why she can't go to the bathroom outside like me is a whole other battle I'm losing with my parents...

6. Selective hearing is a daily requirement. While typically reserved for my parents I have quickly learned to drown out all of the baby cries and any other commotion she causes. Burying my head under the boppy pillow works wonders..

7. Sharing is key: Being a first born I was certainly used to having my parents undivided attention so it's no surprise that it has been very hard to deal with not being the top dog. I'll admit I have done my fair share of seeking negative attention by running away to friends houses, destroying household items and upping the ante on my whining but the bottom line is she's here to stay and I have to share my parents!


While parenthood has proven to be a great challenge I love my little sister and am happy to report that she's been accepted with open paws among the other pack members and we are looking forward to the next 2 months and what excitement and challenges she has in store for us!


No comments:

Post a Comment